Monday 10 May 2010

Clinging to Christ

When life proves to be more difficult and you feel the pains of God's pruning and chastising in your life, it's easy to grow weary and discouraged. God's cleansing and purifying work is not easy, but we know that we will be stronger for it in the end. In the past few weeks, I've had to really cling to certain things to get me through. I've had to to remember who God is and what Jesus has done for me, remember who I am in Christ, and I have to hold to His promises.

When we realize who God is and what Jesus has done for us, it makes anything He asks us to do appear a little smaller. Just think that the Creator of the entire universe loves and cares about you. Remember that the very Son of God left His throne, lived a pure, sinless life and died a cruel death for you. If you think what you're going through hurts, remember what He did for you. Look to the cross where He hung stripped, beaten, mocked, ridiculed and how the blood flowed from His wounds. All of this He endured for you. We have been purchased by a very great price.

When we go through difficult times, Satan loves to come in our point of weakness and remind us of all the filth and slime we have behind us. He loves to tell us how wretched and sinful we are and top it off with a load of guilt and shame. And so often we believe it, because apart from Christ, it's true. But in Christ, we see a very different picture. In Christ, I am:
  • accepted, forgiven and blameless
  • unconditionally loved
  • held safe in His arms
  • we are pure, sanctified and perfected
Isaiah 43 is also a huge encouragement to me and it shows me who God is, and although God is speaking of Israel, to me is shows me who I am because of Him. I know I've gone over this same thing before, but a review certainly doesn't hurt:
  • God has created and redeemed me, called me by name and I am His (v.1)
  • He is with me through water and fire (v.2)
  • I am precious and honoured in His eyes and He loves me (v.4)
  • I am created for God's glory (v.7)
  • I am His witness and chosen servant (v.10)
  • God is the LORD, Redeemer, Holy One of Israel, Creator of Israel, and King
  • "Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." (v.18,19, ESV)
  • God blots out my sins for His own sake and He will not remember them (v.25)
There are many more verses in scripture that tell us who we are in Christ and I encourage you to search them out. And while you're doing that, search out His promises. I take great comfort in the fact that God will never leave me or forsake me, that I am His bride and He is coming back for me and that one day He will wipe away all tears. In times of trouble, I love to turn to the Psalms because it often shows me all of those things I mentioned above.

I have by no means gone into exhaustive lists here. I have merely scratched the surface, but I would love your feedback. Who are you in Christ? What promises do you cling to in difficult times? And I would also love to know who all my readers are, so please do come out of hiding.

God bless!

3 comments:

  1. *hugs* Thanks for sharing...I like your title...it's what I've been doing, though over slightly different issues. It all boils down in the end to the same thing, trusting God and clinging to Him and resting in His arms knowing that He loves me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who I am in Christ ; He has made me to be a messenger. Not the kind of messenger I wanted to be, but one nonetheless.
    I cling to the fact that He really is God and that even when it's bad, he has taken care of the worst case scenario. He has defeated death.
    So I guess I've 'come out'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I just found your blog, but this was very encouraging to me!
    I often find myself clinging to the words, "This is the day which the LORD hath made;" Ps 118:24. I always find it comforting to know that now matter how bad the day is going, or how badly I feel (spiritually) God still has made THIS day and He put me in it, so He is in control. I just started following your blog and I'm excited! Have a blessed day,
    Frannie

    ReplyDelete